Children rescued from fire

PUBLISHED : Saturday, 30 December, 2006, 12:00am
UPDATED : Saturday, 30 December, 2006, 12:00am
 

Residents of a Tuen Mun housing estate risked their lives yesterday to help rescue two children from their burning flat.


The residents braved choking smoke to smash the windows of the locked flat and fight the fire with water from a fire hose on the 19th floor of Wu Tsui House, Wu King Estate.


Witnesses said a girl, 10, and her seven-year-old brother were home alone and were seen on the balcony of the flat about midday burning wax, which set nearby objects on fire.


Firefighters and neighbours eventually rescued the two children, surnamed Chan, who were in Tuen Mun Hospital in serious condition last night, suffering from smoke inhalation.


The children's mother, 36, received a verbal warning for leaving them unattended.


Under the Housing Department's hygiene marking scheme, five demerit points are applied immediately for littering or wax burning in public areas.


A tenancy would be terminated if 16 points or more were recorded within two years. A fixed penalty notice of HK$1,500 or summons would also be issued to offenders on the spot.


Share

 

Send to a friend

To forward this article using your default email client (e.g. Outlook), click here.

Children rescued from fire

Enter multiple addresses separated by commas(,)

For unlimited access to:

SCMP.com SCMP Tablet Edition SCMP Mobile Edition 10-year news archive