Key tests for officer on oxygen treatment

PUBLISHED : Monday, 15 January, 2007, 12:00am
UPDATED : Monday, 15 January, 2007, 12:00am

Paralysed police officer Jacky Chu Chun-kwok will have a thorough medical assessment at the end of this month to determine whether his health has improved after five months of high-pressure oxygen treatment in Guangzhou.

Mr Chu was stabbed in the neck while on patrol in July 2005 in Cheung Sha Wan. He was moved to the Guangzhou Military District's main hospital in September with the help of the Hong Kong Police Force to receive various therapeutic treatments.

His wife, Chu Choi Yin-ping, said her husband had been slowly getting better in the past few months but she and the rest of his family believed the healing process could take a couple of years.

'After the exam we will know his exact condition and what else we can do in the future,' Mrs Chu said.

She was satisfied with the treatment Mr Chu had received. Her husband could now swallow soup and some mashed food, slowly and with help. The condition of his limbs had improved but his left arm was still stiff.

Mr Chu's treatment at the hospital comprised one two-hour session in a high-pressure oxygen chamber six days a week, prescribed muscle relaxants, acupuncture, massage and assisted exercise. In the past two months, doctors had been helping him sit up in a wheelchair for an hour every day. 'Every morning he also has an hour of exercise standing up,' Mrs Chu said.

'The nurses make him stand up on his bedplate to correct his deformed feet.'

She said a member of the medical team told her the hospital had treated a person in a similar condition who made a full recovery after having the high-pressure oxygen sessions.

'But unfortunately we missed the best time for high-pressure oxygen treatment,' Ms Chu said.

The other patient had been admitted within three months of the injury and the hospital had never had a case like her husband, who had been paralysed for more than one year before it started treatment.