Caroliners want foreign ref

PUBLISHED : Monday, 15 January, 2007, 12:00am
UPDATED : Monday, 15 January, 2007, 12:00am

South China would like an overseas referee to take charge when they entertain Xiangxue Sun Hei in the Choi Fung Hong Senior Shield final on Sunday following officiating controversies during yesterday's semi-finals.

Ten-man Sun Hei defeated holders Kitchee 1-0 in the opening match of yesterday's double-header at Mong Kok Stadium, while South China notched a 4-1 victory over Lanwa Redbull after the Guangdong-based side had a goal disallowed for offside when they were two goals down.

'This will be an important final and we should get referees from outside so as to minimise complaints,' said South China team convener Steven Lo Kit-shing, who offered a winning bonus of HK$100,000 to his side.

'I have spoken with the FA chairman and he has no objection as long as the two clubs agree on paying the expenses.'

Sun Hei will certainly support the suggestion after they had six players booked and one sent off against Kitchee. Defender Lee Wai-lun will miss the final after receiving his second yellow six minutes into the second half. Coach Koo Luam Khen and assistant Yan Lit-kin were also given their marching orders in the closing stages.

'The standard of the referee was terrible,' complained team boss Chow Man-leung.

Fladimir Freitas scored the only goal for Sun Hei after some poor defence from Kitchee in the 36th minute. Sezto Man-chun should have cleared a Lee Kin-wo cross with a regulation header, but he missed it, leaving Freitas a simple task with only the goalkeeper to beat.

Sun Hei were pinned back in defence after defender Lee was sent off in the 51st minute, but Kitchee created little real threat with the one-man advantage.

In the second match, South China were 2-0 up following goals by Li Haiqiang and Au Wai-lun in the 27th and 51st minutes respectively.

Lanwa should have pulled one back in the 58th minute when Geng Xin headed home from a free kick. But the goal was disallowed for offside and an angry Geng was booked for showing dissent despite boos from many in the 3,000 crowd. Tales Schutz picked up his 16th goal of the season when he found the target in the 71st minute to make it 3-0 to South China. You Long then pulled one back for Lanwa before Yeung Ching-kwong sealed victory in stoppage time with his first touch after replacing Wong Chun-yue.