Your eye is like a camera
1. Light enters the eye through a small ______________ called the pupil and is focused on the retina, which is like a camera film.
2. The eye also has a focusing _______________ which focuses images from different distances on the retina.
3. The coloured ring of the eye, the iris, controls the ______________ of light entering the eye.
4. It closes when light is _____________ and opens when light is dim.
5. A tough white sheet called sclera covers the outside of the eye. The front of this sheet (sclera) is transparent in order to allow the light to enter the eye, the cornea.
6. Ciliary muscles control the focusing of lens automatically.
7. The image or images formed on the retina is _________________ to the brain by an optic nerve.
8. The image is finally perceived by the brain.
Use these words to fill in the blanks:
lens, transmitted, bright, amount, hole
Brown is one of the most common eye colours. Those with non-European ancestry generally have darker eyes and less variability in eye colour than those of European descent. Virtually all of the original inhabitants of Africa, Asia, and the Americas had brown eyes. Brown eyes are also found in Europe, Oceania and North America.
Red eye in photographs
'Red eye' results from scattering of light from the back of the eye (the retina). In such backscattering, light is reflected in the direction from which it came. The result is that the subject's eye appears to be illuminated from within.
The effect is enhanced in cats, dogs and other animals which have good night vision, because they have a reflecting layer behind the retina.
Drawing or painting eyes is one of the most difficult tasks for artists to do
Match the eyes with the names below
1. US actor Tom Cruise 2. Chinese actress Zhou Xun 3. Hong Kong actor Aaron Kwok 4. US actress Angelina Jolie
1. She is all eyes when she goes to the ice-skating rink
2. The teacher has eyes in the back of her head and always knows what is going
on in the classroom means: ________________________________________________
3. He gave the girl in the restaurant the eye but she totally ignored him!
NEXT WEEK: EARS
Fill in the blanks: hole, lens, amount, bright, transmitted
Match the eyes: 1. D; 2. C; 3. A; 4. B
Eye idioms: 1. watching very closely, wide-eyed with surprise
2. ability to know what happens when one's back is turned
3. look at someone