Nan Fung

Woman swallows 15cm toothbrush

PUBLISHED : Wednesday, 14 March, 2007, 12:00am
UPDATED : Friday, 08 May, 2015, 10:49am


Related topics

A woman received emergency surgery at Tseung Kwan O Hospital after swallowing a toothbrush at her home yesterday.

The woman, 42, dialled a 999 emergency number to request an ambulance after she slipped on the floor and swallowed the toothbrush at her Tseung Kwan O Plaza unit in Tong Tak Street about 10.20am.

She was taken to Tseung Kwan O Hospital. Paramedics obtained another 15cm-long toothbrush at her home, which she said was similar to the one she swallowed, and took it with them to the hospital.

Medical staff carried out an examination and the toothbrush showed up in an X-ray. Surgery was carried out in which doctors used an OGD (oesophago-gastro-duodenoscopy) device, a specialised type of endoscope, to remove the brush.

A spokeswoman for Tseung Kwan O Hospital confirmed that a patient had been admitted to the hospital after swallowing a toothbrush.

'The toothbrush has been removed from her body after surgery. The woman is now recovering and her condition is listed as stable,' the spokeswoman said.

A spokesman for the Fire Services Department said it was not known under what circumstances the woman swallowed the toothbrush.

Police said they had no details of the case as the victim only requested an ambulance.

Last November a 16-year-old Romanian girl had to have surgery in a hospital in Falticeni in eastern Romania after swallowing a 15cm toothbrush.