City Briefs

PUBLISHED : Friday, 16 March, 2007, 12:00am
UPDATED : Friday, 16 March, 2007, 12:00am

Fourth day of asylum seekers' hunger strike

Asylum seekers continued their hunger strike for a fourth day yesterday to demand their release and improved conditions at the Tuen Mun detention centre. The 24 men, who are mostly from African countries, began refusing food on Monday and some were sent yesterday to the medical centre at the Castle Peak Bay Immigration Centre for observation and treatment.

Legislator Fernando Cheung Chiu-hung, members of Christian Action and civil rights lawyers visited the hunger strikers yesterday. Choosin Ngaotheppitak, head of the Hong Kong office of the UN High Commissioner for Refugees, said half the hunger strikers were known to the UN body. He said some had already been denied refugee status and others' applications were being processed. They were demanding to speak to the director of immigration.

Two worshippers hurt in accidents during festival

Two worshippers were injured in separate traffic accidents while going to temples in Hung Hom and Sai Kung during the Kwun Yam festival. An elderly woman was knocked down by a taxi on Fat Kwong Street, Hung Hom, at about 11.30pm on Wednesday. She suffered no apparent injuries and was taken to Queen Elizabeth Hospital. About 9.30am yesterday, a woman, 43, and her helper, 24, heading for a Sai Kung temple, were injured when a taxi they were travelling in collided with a car on Hiram's Highway, Sai Kung. The two women and two drivers - a man, 53, and a woman, 27 - were injured. They were treated at Tseung Kwan O Hospital.

Police hold man accused of assaulting his wife

Police arrested a 43-year-old man for assaulting his wife in Wong Tai Sin. The alleged assault occurred when the man returned to the couple's home in Mei Tung House, Mei Tung Estate, at 1.50am. The woman accused her husband of coming home late and the man, who appeared to be drunk, reportedly beat her, police said. She ran into the toilet and locked herself inside before phoning police. The woman was treated at Queen Elizabeth Hospital. Her husband was detained in Hung Hom police station for questioning.

Woman commits suicide

A woman, 38, committed suicide by burning charcoal at her home in Mong Kok. The woman was found dead in bed when her boyfriend, 44, visited her Ivy Street flat at 1.30pm. Police said a note was found saying she was having relationship problems.


One ticket won the HK$27,400,935 first prize in last night's draw. The numbers were 1, 14, 39, 40, 45 and 49. The extra number was 42. One ticket won second prize of HK$3,075,920. Third prize paid HK$46,600.