• Sat
  • Dec 27, 2014
  • Updated: 10:19pm

Leash or muzzle dogs along Bowen Road, warns SPCA

PUBLISHED : Thursday, 22 March, 2007, 12:00am
UPDATED : Thursday, 22 March, 2007, 12:00am

Dog owners have been warned to muzzle or leash their pets when walking along Bowen Road after three poisonings this week.


Hours before two dogs died from eating poison along the popular walking path above Happy Valley, as reported yesterday, a third dog ate chicken laced with insecticide left in the same area. The dog survived, but remains in a serious condition at a veterinary clinic.


Nancy Brown, the dog's owner, said her seven-year-old labrador-retriever mix called Murphy, swallowed the poison as she walked him along Bowen Road between noon and 1pm on Monday, near her home on Stubbs Road. Seven hours later, two labradoodles, Tiki and Coco, were fatally poisoned after being taken for a walk along the same road.


'He was happy and active on the walk and, for a short period, I allowed him to run off the leash,' Ms Brown said. 'Within minutes of our returning home, he succumbed to the effects of the poison. He was convulsing, foaming at the mouth and experiencing diarrhoea.'


Susan Roberts, a vet at the Valley Veterinary Centre who treated the dog, said Murphy was lucky to be alive. 'They were fortunate to find a taxi driver who was willing to take a dog in that condition,' Dr Roberts said.


The Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals warned owners to keep dogs on a muzzle or leash to protect them from the killer.


Share

For unlimited access to:

SCMP.com SCMP Tablet Edition SCMP Mobile Edition 10-year news archive
 
 

 

 
 
 
 
 

Login

SCMP.com Account

or