In Brief

PUBLISHED : Thursday, 26 April, 2007, 12:00am
UPDATED : Thursday, 26 April, 2007, 12:00am

Media warned over evidence

Just two hours before the verdicts were delivered yesterday, Coroner Michael Chan Pik-kiu made a court order warning the media not to publish photographs of any evidence being presented in court. He raised the issue because some Chinese-language newspapers had published pictures, which included a rusty gun retrieved at the shoot-out scene and a mask found in constable Tsui Po-ko's locker, before the conclusion of the inquest.

Cabbies drive the debate

Immediately after the verdicts were announced, a line of taxis formed outside the Eastern court building. Taxi drivers, who had been listening to broadcasts on their radios, started a debate among themselves on whether the family members of constable Tsui Po-ko should apologise. One taxi driver said: 'Why should she [Tsui's mother] say sorry? She did not commit any crime. She is also a victim.'

Policemen turn record-keepers

Reading about the daily twists and turns in the high-profile inquest was not confined to the public. Police officers from the Organised Crime and Triad Bureau, who were in charge of the case, kept clippings every day, keeping track of the media coverage, and went into details of the reports, sometimes even spotting mistakes.

Just for the experience

A member of the public who sat through most of the hearings said she was there just for the experience. Winnie Lam, who is in her 50s, said: 'I retired recently. I don't enjoy spending my day playing Taiwan mahjong or going shopping with friends. I learned a lot about the law and the truths of these deaths at this inquest.'

Close watch on guns

Most of the 200 exhibits presented at the hearing remained in the courtroom overnight, but not the three guns - exhibits from the deadly Tsim Sha Tsui shoot-out, which were taken to the police armoury. A detective was assigned to take special care of the three police revolvers and carried them back and forward throughout the hearing.

Compensation ruled out Tsui Po-ko's family was not entitled to any police or civil service compensation, since he was killed while off duty. The cause of his death would have to be examined in detail before any decision on the release of his pension, a spokesman said.