• Mon
  • Dec 29, 2014
  • Updated: 9:39am

Pork warning after woman falls ill

PUBLISHED : Wednesday, 16 May, 2007, 12:00am
UPDATED : Wednesday, 16 May, 2007, 12:00am

The Centre for Health Protection issued a warning to handle pork carefully after a 79-year-old Chai Wan woman fell critically ill with Streptococcus suis, a bacteria caught from pigs, the first infection reported this year. The woman developed a fever on May 7 and was admitted to hospital on May 11, where she is in critical condition. A centre spokesman said she had had a hand wound for three weeks and had handled pork on visits to a local market.


Share

For unlimited access to:

SCMP.com SCMP Tablet Edition SCMP Mobile Edition 10-year news archive
 
 

 

 
 
 
 
 

Login

SCMP.com Account

or