As the temperature and humidity rise, so does the skin's oil production level. To curb excess shine and control sebum production, choose cleansers and moisturisers with purifying and mattifying properties.
1. Algotherm's Matifying Cream Gel (HK$530/50ml) is a non-greasy formula that penetrates into the upper layers of the skin, according to its maker. Ingredients such as vitamin B complex, brown seaweed and sulfured peptides purify the skin and control oil production while powders remove excess shine. Available at selected spas (inquiries: 3542 5046).
2. Elemis' Daily Shine Control (HK$960/50ml) is formulated for oily and combination complexions and minimises the appearance of shine without stripping the skin of its natural moisture. Lavender, jasmine, rose and silver birch purify while preventing breakouts. Available at Lane Crawford, IFC Mall, Central, and at www.spaforlife.hk.
3. Natura Bisse's Stabilizing Gel Cream (HK$690/75ml) regulates excess oil production, with natural keratin amino acids and provides a matt finish to the skin. It also contains an exclusive complex to keep skin moisturised while silimarine and wheat proteins repair and protect. Available at Lane Crawford stores.
4. Aveda's Outer Peace foaming cleanser (HK$280/125ml) is part of a new line dedicated to oily and acne-prone skins. It cleans deep into pores and contains extracts of saw palmetto berries to help reduce excess oil. Available next month at Lane Crawford stores.
5. Ren's Mayblossom and Konjac Balancing moisturiser (HK$450/50ml) contains no petrochemicals, sulfates or parabens and is free from synthetic fragrances and colours. Mayblossom and willow bark normalise sebum production, reduce pore size and provide anti-microbial protection, while Japanese Konjac root reduces shine in the T-zone area. Available from Harvey Nichols, The Landmark, Central.
6. Decleor's Matt Finish Skin Fluid (HK$320/50ml) has a fresh, non-oily texture that leaves a velvety finish. It contains aquatic plant extracts such as lotus, bamboo and water lily as well as a combination of essential oils. The formula has no colourants or mineral oils, and is non-comedogenic, making it ideal for sensitive skins. Available at Decleor Institut, Mezzanine Floor, Baskerville House, 13 Duddell Street, Central.