In Brief

PUBLISHED : Friday, 25 May, 2007, 12:00am
UPDATED : Friday, 25 May, 2007, 12:00am

Warning on scorpions

The Centre for Health Protection has again warned the public to be careful when handling langsat, a tropical fruit, after a 70-year-old man was stung by a scorpion. It was the third incident reported this year. He bought the fruit at a stall in Ngau Chi Wan and was washing it in his Diamond Hill home yesterday when he was stung on his left hand. He is in a stable condition in hospital.

Brothers get a big fright

Two brothers aged two and four escaped serious injury when a heavy cabinet fell off the livingroom wall in their Chai Wan flat yesterday. The boys had been playing on a sofa when the wooden cabinet, used to store toys and photo albums, fell, hitting a one-metre-tall shoe cabinet behind the sofa and tumbling onto the floor, crushing a small folding chair. The boys were treated in hospital for shock and discharged.

Two temples ransacked

Fortune tellers' tables were ransacked in two temples in Sha Tin before dawn. Police were called to Che Kung Temple in Che Kung Miu Road at about 6.25am when the drawers of 10 tables outside the main hall were found prised open. Police said HK$2,418 was stolen. At 6.50am they were called to a temple 100 metres away where four boxes had been prised open, but they had contained no money.

Building reopens after fire

The QPL Industrial Building in Tsuen Wan, damaged by a fire on Monday in which a fireman died, has reopened to tenants, except for the sixth and seventh floors. Staff could go inside after registering but had to climb stairs in the dark as the lifts were still not ready. The condition of injured fireman Chin Kwok-ming, 45, has stabilised. Eight other people were injured.

Man stung by stingray

A man was sent to hospital complaining of dizziness after he said a stingray stung him while he was fishing in shallow water at Po Sam Pai beach, Tai Po, at 10pm.

Train suicide attempt fails

A 33-year-old woman was in critical condition after jumping in front of a Lo Wu-bound train at Kowloon Tong East station at 2.10pm. Services were disrupted for 20 minutes.