Former Shanxi official on trial for bribery
A former Shanxi official has gone on trial on charges of receiving 6 million yuan in bribes. He is the sixth safety chief to fall from grace in the accident-prone province in recent years.
Yan Quanwei , the 56-year-old former head of Gujiao's work safety bureau, was accused of receiving 6 million yuan in bribes from coal mine owner Yan Linze between 2003 and last year, China Youth Daily reported.
More than half the money, 3.5 million yuan, was used to pay off the gambling debts of Yan Quanwei's son, Yan Xugang, who frequented Macau's casinos, the report cited the indictment as saying. Yan Quanwei's trial at the Taiyuan Intermediate People's Court began on Monday.
The court was told that Yan Quanwei and Yan Linze started a clandestine partnership in 2003 when the Huili No2 Colliery was set to be auctioned off in Yan Quanwei's home town, Suoyu village.
The report said Yan Quanwei brought the date of the auction forward by two days, which disqualified many other bidders because they failed to pay the required deposit in time. As a result, only three bidders attended the auction. The report said Yan Quanwei also had phoned the other two bidders and asked them to back out of the auction, saying 'I want to buy the Huili No2 Colliery'.
Yan Quanwei's nephew, Yang Baoming, won the bid, while Yan Linze reportedly paid 30 million yuan for the purchase contract and 300,000 yuan for the auctioneer's commission.
Yan Quanwei was appointed chief of the safety bureau in June 2003, but was removed in May 2004. He was put under an internal Communist Party disciplinary investigation in July and arrested in November.