In Brief

PUBLISHED : Thursday, 28 June, 2007, 12:00am
UPDATED : Thursday, 28 June, 2007, 12:00am

Champion cyclist Wong Kam-po loses to galloper Viva Pataca

Wong Kam-po, the world champion cyclist and Asian Games winner, failed to match the speed of champion galloper Viva Pataca in a race last week. The horse covered 2,400 metres in two minutes, 24 seconds at the Hong Kong Champions and Chater Cup at Sha Tin on June 3. Wong was 19 seconds slower while covering the same distance on an international-standard cycling course in Shenzhen. His time was kept secret until yesterday while the Jockey Club ran a competition to guess the outcome. Cheung Pak-ming of the Hong Kong Sports Institute, said Wong faced greater air resistance because he was riding alone.

Dengue fever case diagnosed

A 45-year-old man has been diagnosed with dengue fever after visiting the Philippines. His is the ninth imported case of the mosquito-borne disease this year. The man, who lives in Kwun Tong, developed fever, muscle pain and dizziness on May 31 and consulted a private doctor on June 2. He recovered without going to hospital.

Deaths from heart disease stable

Secretary for Health York Chow Yat-ngok, told the Legislative Council the death rate from heart disease among people aged 20 to 44 had not increased from 2001 to 2005. He said the government had no plans to conduct comprehensive screening for cardiovascular diseases for now. The Hospital Authority had spent nearly HK$1 billion treating and preventing cardiovascular diseases last year and this year.

Bail for death-crash driver

A minibus driver who was arrested after killing one person and injuring 17 others in an accident outside the Shing Mun Tunnel in Tsuen Wan on Tuesday night was granted police bail. The man, 25, must report to police on Wednesday. He was arrested for dangerous driving after crashing into two vehicles.

False alarm over bone discovery

A caretaker at Pui Ching Middle School called police after finding a bone on a hillside behind the school on Pui Ching Road, Mong Kok. The area was cordoned off for about three hours until a pathologist confirmed it was an animal bone.