Forty years after his death, two of Bruce Lee's siblings reminisce about their famous brother's life and a legacy that is inspiring a whole new generation of fighters. Jo Baker reports.
Exercises, products and spas to get your back in shape for winter.
To strengthen the entire back
- Lie on your stomach, arms and legs outstretched. Rest your forehead on the floor, so it is aligned with the neck and spine.
- Pull your abdominals in, creating a 'cave' between your navel and the floor.
- Lift your right arm and left leg a little bit off the floor and stretch. Hold for three to four slow counts then lower.
- Alternate between your left arm and right leg and your right arm and left leg.
To strengthen the lower back
- Lie on your stomach with your hands palms-down by your shoulders and legs outstretched. Rest your forehead on the floor, so it is aligned with your spine.
- Create a 'cave' between your navel and the floor.
- Lift your head and chest up off the ground as comfortably as possible without using your hands (your palms will lift a little bit off the floor too). Hold until you feel a stretch through your lower back, then slowly lower.
To tone the upper back and shoulders
1. Using hand-held weights (0.5-2kg), stand with your feet shoulder-width apart and your arms by the side.
- Hold the weights with palms facing outwards then tense your shoulder and upper back muscles, and slowly make shrugging movements up and down.
2. Stand with feet slightly apart.
- Holding the weights, bend your knees and your waist until you are in a sitting position.
- Extend arms out in front of you with the palms facing outwards.
- Lift your arms out to your side, keeping them straight, until they are parallel to the floor. Hold them there for a few seconds, then return to the starting position.
Elemis Day Spa 9/F Century Square, 1 D'Aguilar Street, Central, tel: 2521 6660.
Mandarin Oriental Spa 5 Connaught Road, Central, tel: 2825 4888.
The Peninsula Spa by ESPA The Peninsula Hotel, Salisbury Road, Tsim Sha Tsui, tel: 2920 2888.
Force Vitale Aqua Vitale by Swiss Line (HK$780)
An alternative to rich lotions that could block your pores, this is a lightweight, fast-penetrating gel that quickly melts into the skin quenching your skin's thirst.
Bionic Blast! by Benefit (HK$210)
Buff away dead skin cells on your shoulders, back and chest with this medicated scrub to reveal smoother skin.
Love Handler by Bliss (HK$340)
Speed up the back-fat burn with the latest liquid potion by Bliss Spas. To be used in addition to your weekly workout regime.
The Body Buddy by The Body Shop (HK$59)
Tackle tension and stimulate circulation with this hand-held massager in the bath or shower.
AHA/BHA Exfoliating Cleanser by Murad from Elemis Day Spa (HK$280)
Help prevent acne and superficial scarring and polish away dullness with this exfoliating cleanser.
Balance skin conditioning body gel by Aromatherapy Associates from Mandarin Oriental Spa (HK$291)
Balance your skin's sebaceous secretions and unclog pores with this antiseptic, anti-bacterial light gel.
Sparkle Skin body exfoliating cream by Clinique (HK$195)
Specifically for dry patches, this light exfoliating cream will leave your skin feeling silky smooth and minty cool.