• Thu
  • Jul 10, 2014
  • Updated: 7:49pm

Bar blast sparks crackdown

PUBLISHED : Saturday, 14 July, 2007, 12:00am
UPDATED : Saturday, 14 July, 2007, 12:00am

The Ministry of Public Security has ordered a nationwide crackdown on illegal explosives in the wake of the karaoke bar blast in Liaoning that killed 25 people last week, Xinhua reported yesterday.


Vice-Minister of Public Security Liu Jinguo told police chiefs that they had to take the 'strongest' measures to address the problem.


He said police departments had to inspect 'every house, every workshop and every unit that keeps explosives' to make sure they complied with safety standards.


People who had to handle explosives for their work would also be checked and registered.


Mr Liu said the police had to record the explosives they found and illegal possession should be severely punished.


'Any case that involves explosives, no matter how small a quantity is involved, must be immediately investigated,' he said.


'Police must regularly check workshops and factories that keep explosives to make sure that their security measures are adequate.'


Traffic police were asked to check vehicles regularly in densely populated areas to ensure no illegal explosives were transported, Xinhua said.


His comments came after a blast at a karaoke bar in Tianshifu, Liaoning, last week that killed 25 people and left more than 30 injured.


Reports said police dug out several boxes of explosives from beneath the rubble, suggesting that there could have been up to 5 tonnes of explosives beneath the building.


Share

For unlimited access to:

SCMP.com SCMP Tablet Edition SCMP Mobile Edition 10-year news archive
 
 

 

 
 
 
 
 

Login

SCMP.com Account

or