Extradition hearing date set for rape suspect
Kenneth Freeman, wanted in the US for raping his daughter and posting the images on the internet, will contest his extradition from Hong Kong.
Freeman appeared before Eastern Court yesterday, where acting Principal Magistrate Douglas Yau Tak-hong set September 10 as the date for his extradition hearing.
His lawyer, Giles Surman, said Freeman would contest his extradition at the hearing.
Bodybuilder Freeman, 45, was arrested at the airport after arriving from the mainland on May 2. He had been on a list of the US' 15 most-wanted fugitives and was held at the request of the US State Department.
He had been working on the mainland since going on the run when an arrest warrant was issued after his daughter, now 17, reported that he had raped her and put footage of the attack on the internet.
She told of the rape on television when she appeared on America's Most Wanted in December.
The National Centre for Missing and Exploited Children then recognised her from the video, which US police said had become 'one of the most widely downloaded child pornography videos in recent years'.
Authorities reportedly knew Freeman was on the mainland but waited until he came to Hong Kong to capture him as Beijing does not have an extradition treaty with the US.