• Sat
  • Dec 27, 2014
  • Updated: 2:58pm

Activists mourn as pier's plaque removed

PUBLISHED : Thursday, 23 August, 2007, 12:00am
UPDATED : Thursday, 23 August, 2007, 12:00am
 

One of three historic plaques at Queen's Pier was removed yesterday, leaving conservation activists mourning the loss.


Workers started removing one of two Chinese-language plaques - the third is in English - at about 1pm. The process took more than three hours as they carefully wrapped it in plastic and sponge to prevent it from being damaged.


At about 4.15pm, a forklift finally lowered the stone plaque after workers had sawed through the three pillars supporting it.


Ho Loy, one of the activists who had pressed to save the pier, watched the plaque being removed.


'I feel sad, very sad,' she said. 'We had been living here for three months. It is like part of our home.'


According to the government, parts of the pier will be stored at a depot near Silvermine Bay, on Lantau Island, until they are reassembled at a place and time still to be determined.


Non-structural parts such as course lights, bollards and handrails have already been removed.


Although the activists failed to convince a court to preserve the pier at its original site, Ms Ho said she and her fellow activists would not give up.


'We are urging the government to use transparent hoardings to replace the barriers surrounding the construction site so the public can monitor the demolition process,' she said.


Share

For unlimited access to:

SCMP.com SCMP Tablet Edition SCMP Mobile Edition 10-year news archive
 
 

 

 
 
 
 
 

Login

SCMP.com Account

or