Sharp rise in dengue fever cases
Travellers were reminded yesterday to take precautionary measures against dengue fever after the number of imported outbreaks this year dwarfed that of last year.
According to the Centre for Health Protection, there were 34 cases of dengue fever reported until August 24, including 33 imported ones. Most of the cases in recent years were also imported.
Thomas Tsang Ho-fai, the centre's controller, said yesterday this year's figure had already exceeded the last year's total of 31 cases, all of which were imported.
He said the summer was not yet over, and the department would stay alert on the situation. He added the centre would remind people to take precautionary measures, especially if they were travelling in Southeast Asia and Macau.
Two of the three cases reported last week were found to have originated in Macau. The two cases involved two male construction workers who were colleagues at the same workplace in Macau.
They developed symptoms in mid-August. The centre said both men had recovered.
A 27-year-old Hong Kong woman from Tsuen Wan was also confirmed last week as having caught the illness on a trip to Indonesia from August 5 to 19.