7 dogs dead at robbery site

PUBLISHED : Tuesday, 11 September, 2007, 12:00am
UPDATED : Tuesday, 11 September, 2007, 12:00am

Robbers bound and gagged a security guard in a locked container and might have poisoned seven dogs before escaping with HK$200,000 worth of electrical cables from a godown in Ta Kwu Ling early yesterday.

Three or four men attacked the guard when he left the container, used as an office at the open-air site in Ping Yuen Road, to go to the toilet shortly after midnight.

He was pushed back into the container, where he was threatened, tied up, blindfolded and gagged, police said.

Two dogs which guarded the godown were found dead inside, and another five dogs were lying dead outside.

Site workers believed they were local dogs which were poisoned when they heard the commotion and ran up.

Another three guard dogs that were chained up and unable to attack the robbers survived.

Police were investigating whether the two found inside were poisoned as an initial examination had found no external injuries.

The robbers also stole the guard's mobile phone and cut the land line. An investigator said the security guard managed to free himself but could not call for help or escape from the container, which was locked from the outside with a bolt.

'He shouted for help but no one heard. It's quite remote out there.'

Officers believed the gang fled in a lorry which was also used to transport the stolen cables.

No weapon was produced and the security guard was unhurt.

The robbery was discovered at 7.25am when workers showed up for work and found the guard locked up.

Police said the robbers were Cantonese-speaking men and were thought to be aged over 30.

More than 20 bundles of electrical cable were stolen and the haul was worth HK$200,000, according to police.

'We don't rule out the possibility that the gang was given a tip-off about the storage of the cables in the godown,' another police officer said.

Last Thursday three robbers failed in a bid to steal cables from a Lok Ma Chau construction site. No one was arrested.

Police are trying to determine if the two cases are linked.