High risk of children being burned at home
Children face an 'alarming' risk of getting hurt at home, concerned groups have warned.
A study from May to July found that 15 per cent of children had been burned with hot liquid or fire.
A total of 1,800 parents who had children aged two to six were interviewed by the Boys' and Girls' Clubs Association of Hong Kong, a child-protection group.
'This is quite alarming,' association director Justina Leung said. Hung Kei-wong, who was also involved in the study, said Hong Kong parents were generally less aware of the number of threats to the safety of their children.
The survey found that a majority of the parents interviewed ignored an effective way of putting out a fire - rolling on the floor. And about 94 per cent of the parents said they had never shown their children the exit route in a case of emergency.
Mrs Leung said: 'Parents in Hong Kong do not refrain from taking small risks, which could cause serious consequences.'
Commenting on the recent cases of fires harming children left unattended at home, she said the support of extended families could greatly reduce the risk of such tragedies.
Kwok Jing-keung, director of the Fire Services Department, said the department recorded 132 cases of fire caused by children playing with fire, including 48 such cases in the first half of this year.
He said parents were responsible for preventing their children from gaining access to dangerous items such as lighters and matches.
'Children have a great curiosity about the world and they don't know what danger is.'
An effective way of putting out a fire is to roll on the floor
Percentage of children between two and six years old who have been burned 15%