Does your trainer make the grade?

PUBLISHED : Friday, 28 September, 2007, 12:00am
UPDATED : Friday, 28 September, 2007, 12:00am

It's a good idea to find out if a personal trainer is certified through a reputable fitness organisation. There are differences in the levels of training worldwide, and Hong Kong is no exception. Some courses are university graduate or masters level in human movement and sports physiology. Others can be completed in just one weekend. Most trainers will have a CV. A quick run-down of it will give you an indication of a trainer's education.

Freelance personal trainer Adam Menhennett suggests looking for a trainer who has qualifications from

the US-based National Academy of

Sports Medicine.

Asian Academy for Sports and Fitness Professionals (AASFP) programme director Terence Chau says to look for a valid personal training certificate and a Registered Exercise Professional listing which is the recognised standard in Britain, Australia and New Zealand. Trainers at the AASFP are required to participate in education programmes and hold valid cardio pulmonary resuscitation (CPR) certificates.

Ingrid Keneally