Principals want admissions policy reversed

PUBLISHED : Tuesday, 09 October, 2007, 12:00am
UPDATED : Tuesday, 09 October, 2007, 12:00am

Most primary school principals believe the minimum admissions hurdle should be drastically cut, a survey by the Professional Teachers' Union has found. Just under 98 per cent of the 302 principals who responded to a questionnaire said the minimum admissions level should return to 16, its level until 2002. For the past five years, schools have been required to cease admissions if they fail to enrol 23 Primary One pupils. The Education Bureau has reduced the minimum threshold to run Primary One classes from 23 to 21 pupils from next year's admission. A bureau spokesman said the policy would be revised after next year's admissions had been analysed.