New signings shine as Club crush title-holders

PUBLISHED : Sunday, 14 October, 2007, 12:00am
UPDATED : Sunday, 14 October, 2007, 12:00am

There was plenty of lust, but CBRE Club threw caution to the wind as they went into overdrive and staked a solid claim for the First Division League crown this season by defeating title-holders Synovate HKCC 22-0 on their home pitch last night.

Club are lusting for the silverware. And they took a huge step towards this goal yesterday thanks to a scintillating display which resulted in three superb tries by new signings - flanker Kris Marin and fullback Mike McKee, with old-timer and hooker Tom Cameron getting the other.

'We are going well. There is a fresh attitude in the team. Our fitness has picked up and the new faces in the side are a huge bonus,' said Club captain Nigel D'Acre.

And they don't come any newer than fullback Mike McKee and his brother Peter McKee, who figures at scrumhalf. This duo has injected a confidence into the backline, which looked dangerous every time they touched the ball yesterday.

'I'm really enjoying my rugby here. It has been great so far,' smiled Mike McKee, who scored 12 of the 22 points - try, two conversions and a penalty.

Apart from having a solid left-boot, Mike McKee also has all the verve and self-assurance of cocky youth. His try was downright audacious, selling a lovely dummy to none other than Hong Kong international Colin Bisley.

Although this is his first season the fullback is eligible to play international rugby for Hong Kong as he was born here.

Unfortunately for the elder McKee, he wasn't locally born and his eligibility is not as certain. But possessing a silver service, the scrum-half will also be a boon to the ranks.

While happy over the start to the season - three wins out of three, including big ones over Valley last week, and now HKCC - D'Acre was cautious too. 'There is a long way to go,' he reminded his team.

HKCC's decision to play last year's player of the year Pale Touati at flyhalf backfired. He looked out of place and the sooner he gets back into the scrum, steering play from his usual number eight slot, the better.

Club's first try was from a scything counter-attack. Bisley cleared and the lineout was quickly taken. The ball was moved wide and Andrew Chambers did well to keep it alive resulting in quicksilver open-side flanker Marin scoring.

Mike McKee collected the second, and then added the conversion and a penalty to give Club a 17-0 led. Cameron added the icing when he completed another sweeping move which involved Mike McKee and number eight Robert Mills.

'I hope this will be a good starting point for our season,' said Bisley.