Jobless drinker denies he beat 4-year-old son
An unemployed man denied assaulting his son by slamming the four-year-old boy into a wall and breaking his jaw after drinking heavily, the District Court heard yesterday.
The 38-year-old father, whose identity the court has ruled can not be disclosed, pleaded not guilty to a charge of wilful assault causing injury to a child.
Prosecutor Lui Kit-ling told the court that the boy went to live with his grandmother and the accused in a flat when he moved to the city from the mainland last year.
The father was diagnosed with acute alcohol intoxication when he was sent to Queen Elizabeth Hospital after the incident on October 22.
In a medical report read out in court, the hospital found multiple abrasions to the boy's forehead and face.
Cuts, redness and bruising were found on his right ear, hand, elbow and lips.
A further examination at the hospital's Oral-Maxillofacial Surgery and Dental Unit showed he had a dislocated jaw and loose teeth.
Mr Lui said the boy underwent an operation on October 24 and was recovering satisfactorily.
In a video-recorded interview played in court, the boy said the accused had been drinking a lot at home on that day. He said his father squeezed his hand and punched his forehead, causing pain and bleeding to his head. His grandmother reported the attack to police.
The boy further said, when cross-examined by Mr Lui, that his father pushed his head against the wall, causing him great pain. He added that he did not want to see his father because he had hit him.
Ho Chung-hang, of the Dental Unit, testified that the injuries found on the boy could only have been sustained by hitting or attacking with great force, ruling out the possibility of the boy banging his own head against the wall.
Deputy District Court Judge William Lam Kui-po ruled there was a case to answer. The hearing continues today.