PUBLISHED : Wednesday, 24 October, 2007, 12:00am
UPDATED : Wednesday, 24 October, 2007, 12:00am

What do you think of the Jockey Club plan for Central Police Station?

Notwithstanding the circumstances in which the design was made and apparently 'accepted' by the government, I am opposed to the glass tower, which is planned as part of the Central Police Station project.

While I have not had the privilege to see the design in detail, I do have a number of concerns.

Firstly, it is an overwhelming structure.

One can compare the size of the glass pyramid with respect to the Louvre to understand that the proportion must be right.

The building cluster is supposed to be a reflection on how law and order were introduced to Hong Kong, and should be preserved as such.

The tower, standing at 160 metres, completely overwhelms the historical buildings and just works to reinforce the impression that space for new and additional commercial space is more important.

Secondly, I don't see how the tower can be accommodated without destroying some of the existing buildings. I have good reasons to suspect that some of the buildings will have to give way to the construction of the tower.

Thirdly, I live in Caine Road, and feel the tower will bring a lot of environmental problems to residents. These include the wall effect, which restricts the air circulation, the glare resulting from the reflections and refractions of the structure, and a possible intrusion into our privacy from a transport structure.

The value of the site lies not with any particular building but with its clustering of historic legal services. It is reinforced by the street names, such as Old Bailey Street and Chancery Lane. The whole place should reflect its legal history.

Can we not just leave the entire building cluster intact and make the best use of the space available, rather than grafting an overwhelming commercial landmark on the site?

Dennis Li, Central

Should more psychologists be hired for the disciplined services?

I personally think it is necessary to have more psychologists.

I have been working in the disciplined force for more than seven years. Nowadays, civilians demand much more from each of us. We are expected to be a law enforcer, social worker, good adviser and even a friend, at times.

Ironically, who cares about us? Sometimes we find members of the public putting all the blame on us and venting their anger. We are not supermen. Sometimes we also feel under strain.

It is very common for a disciplined services member to have a heavy workload. We seldom get support from our superiors. Many colleagues around me have experienced a lot of stress through their work.

It is a good idea to hire more psychologists to work with us. One should be readily available to help us so we can improve our emotional health.

Our job is to help the public. It is high time the government started to help us.

Johnny Lee Chi-ho, Cheung Sha Wan

What can be done to reduce domestic violence?

I was shocked by events in Tin Shui Wai two weeks ago when a mother threw her children from the balcony of her 24th-floor flat and then killed herself.

Every day you read stories about some form of domestic violence. I feel a great deal of compassion for the victims.

In many cases, the people involved are new immigrants. They find it difficult to adapt to Hong Kong.

I suggest that the relevant government departments should pay more attention to these new citizens. More social workers have to be allocated to help them.

It is important to understand the problems these people are going through and find ways to help them deal with them.

Non-governmental organisations should organise programmes so these families can acquire the skills needed to deal with the problems they face. If they can learn these skills, they will realise that suicide is not a way out and that there are better options to help them deal with their problems.

Neighbours also have a role to play and can just show that they care. Human relationships can help do so much. Even just saying hello to someone can make a difference.

Connie Cheng, Kwun Tong

The government has to take action to deal with domestic violence, for the sake of our children.

Parents with psychological problems often vent their frustration on their children. Courses must be set up to help such parents, so they can learn to deal properly with their emotions.

Neighbours can also sometimes act as good intermediaries and help solve the problems associated with domestic violence. We also need to change attitudes. Subscribing to traditional Chinese values, most Hongkongers believe they should avoid sharing their problems with other people, and that they have to solve these problems themselves. We have to change this deep-rooted way of thinking so that people realise it is okay to seek help.

The priority of parents is to try help their children have a blissful childhood, rather than an unhappy one.

Becky Chan, Sau Mau Ping

What can be done to help dumped animals?

Sometimes we see abandoned animals on the street, especially dogs and cats. But what actions can we take for them? We can't take them home, because they may be diseased.

I suggest people call the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals or the Society for Abandoned Animals. They may be able to take the poor animals to a safe place. I would also suggest people join the sponsorship scheme organised by the Society for Abandoned Animals.

Although many people are not able to raise a pet at home, they can contribute financially so that abandoned animals can be cared for. The sponsorship scheme makes that possible.

People can also join the SPCA and work as volunteers, taking care of the abandoned animals.

It is also very important that we educate our children about being kind to animals. El Chan Suk-kuen, chief executive of the Society for Abandoned Animals, said: 'If children mistreat animals, they will probably use violence on people when they grow up.'

Chris Lo, Sau Mau Ping