In Brief

PUBLISHED : Tuesday, 06 November, 2007, 12:00am
UPDATED : Tuesday, 06 November, 2007, 12:00am

Two women leap to their deaths from flat and stairs

A 45-year-old woman died when she leapt from her flat in Yau Hong House, Tin Yau Court, Tin Shui Wai, at about 3.30am yesterday. Police said the woman had an illness, which was probably the reason for her suicide.

In a separate case, a woman plunged to her death from the staircase of On Kong House, Cheung On Estate. The 31-year-old was found outside the building at about 10.40am and taken to Princess Margaret Hospital, where doctors declared her dead. A suicide note said she had relationship problems. Investigations found nothing suspicious in both cases.

Worker falls from scaffolding

A 27-year-old worker suffered head injuries when he fell from scaffolding outside a second-floor flat in Prince's Terrace, Mid-Levels, at about 10.10am. The man was in stable condition in Queen Mary Hospital. Police said a metal frame supporting the scaffolding had come loose. The Labour Department is investigating.

Cyclist flown to hospital

A 32-year-old cyclist was flown to hospital after he injured his neck when he crashed his bicycle near Ho Pui Reservoir in Tai Lam Country Park, Tuen Mun, at about 11am. He was in a stable condition in Tuen Mun Hospital.

Arson destroys vehicles

A delivery van and a car were burned out in two arson attacks before dawn. The van, reported stolen in Kwai Chung on Saturday, went up in flames in San Wan Road, Sheung Shui, at 3.10am. In the other case, a car parked in Sha Tau Kok Road near Man Uk Pin, Sha Tau Kok, was set on fire at about 5am. Investigators found burning items had been thrown inside the car.

Motorbike and minibus collide

A motorcyclist suffered hand and leg injuries when his vehicle and a minibus collided at the junction of Waterloo and Flint roads, Kowloon Tong, at about 8.30am. The 40-year-old man was treated at Queen Elizabeth Hospital.

In a separate case, a 32-year-old woman driver suffered neck injuries when she crashed her Mercedes-Benz into railings at the junction of Waterloo Road and Rutland Quadrant, Kowloon Tong, at 7.05am. She was taken to Queen Elizabeth Hospital.

Suicide bid abandoned

A 27-year-old man attempting to commit suicide in Tuen Mun by burning charcoal had second thoughts when he burned his right leg. He ran out of the fume-filled flat in Shun Tat Street and called police at about 12.30am. He was taken to Tuen Mun Hospital. The man told police he had wanted to commit suicide because of work and financial problems.