Triad pair convicted over bungled murder scheme

PUBLISHED : Wednesday, 07 November, 2007, 12:00am
UPDATED : Wednesday, 07 November, 2007, 12:00am

Two alleged members of the Sun Yee On triad society have been found guilty of planning to kill a man to take over his rumoured illicit businesses.

Tang Yuk-fai, 30, and Sze King-kwok, 33, were found guilty by a Court of First Instance jury of one count each of conspiracy to commit murder, over a bungled attempt to shoot dead 50-year-old Tang Pui-cheung on June 12 last year.

Tang Yuk-fai was found guilty by a majority of six jurors to one. One of the masterminds of the failed plan, he collapsed in the dock after the verdict was read. A relative in the public gallery sobbed loudly as Tang was helped to his feet.

The jurors were unanimous in the decision about Sze.

Recorder Andrew Macrae SC will hear mitigation on behalf of the duo this afternoon.

Their co-accused, 42-year-old Hung Pui-hung, was found not guilty by a majority of five jurors to two of a single count of conspiracy to commit murder over the failed attempt on Mr Tang's life.

Wong Dung, 17, walked free from the dock after he was unanimously found not guilty of one count of assisting an offender to commit a crime. An additional charge against Mr Wong, of possessing a pistol without a licence, was dropped during the trial after it was found he had no case to answer.

A fifth man, 19-year-old Chan Tsz-him, who testified for the prosecution under an immunity deal, will likely be sentenced tomorrow after pleading guilty to reduced charges of assisting an offender and possession of a firearm without a licence.

Chan, also a member of Sun Yee On, had told the court his triad 'big brother', a man called Kee Sai-ho, had taken him to a meeting with Hung and Tang early in March last year at which they had 'a discussion about killing somebody'.

That somebody was identified by Chan as Mr Tang, also known as 'Big Nose', who it was claimed was involved in 'illegal businesses ... black market oil, white powder, things like that'.

Mr Tang told the court he was a retired chicken hawker and denied any knowledge of a motive for the attack, which ended when a gun that had been pressed against his head by a mainland assassin - known only as See-fu - failed to discharge.

According to Chan, Kee told him and Wong, whose house they had allegedly run to after the failed attempt, he had rushed in to help the mainlander. A melee with Mr Tang and some bystanders ensued during which Kee dropped his phone.

He and Chan fled to Wong's house and Kee had then slipped across the border.

Chan himself had missed most of the action after sleeping through Kee's repeated phone calls.