Bus driver charged after fatal crash
A bus driver was charged yesterday with dangerous driving causing death after a crash late on Friday night involving two buses in Tseung Kwan O left two women dead.
The 29-year-old driver, surnamed Tam, was released on bail of HK$10,000. He was employed by New World First Bus.
Seventeen passengers, who were all in one bus, were admitted to hospital after the accident. Two women, a 64-year-old surnamed Ngan and her 34-year-old daughter-in-law, surnamed Choi, were declared dead at the hospital. Ngan's son, daughter and granddaughter were in serious condition. Two others were stable last night. The remaining 10 were discharged. Both drivers were also treated. The other bus had no passengers.
Police said the crash occurred at 11.50pm at the junction of Po Yap Road and Po Shun Road. The front of one bus was severely damaged.
The traffic lights at the junction had been turned off about six months ago. A Transport Department spokesman said district councillors and the council's traffic and transport committee had been consulted.
'The reasons were that the traffic flow at the junction was low, and some residents had complained that there were too many traffic lights in the area,' he said.
Francis Chau Yin-ming, a Sai Kung district councillor, said there were road signs urging drivers to stop before taking the turn.
But he said they would discuss with the department whether the traffic lights at the junction should be turned back on to make it safer.
A spokeswoman for Citybus and New World First Bus said the two drivers had been driving on their respective routes for more than three years. They began their shifts at 4pm.
She said the company expressed condolences to the bereaved families and apologies to the injured. A hotline had been set up for insurance inquiries and their staff had contacted the families of the deceased.