In Brief

PUBLISHED : Thursday, 27 December, 2007, 12:00am
UPDATED : Thursday, 27 December, 2007, 12:00am

Witnesses of fatality sought

Police are investigating the death of a 78-year-old man in Yuen Long yesterday after he was struck by a car as he crossed a road. The accident happened at the junction of Castle Peak Road and Tai Tong Road at about 1.10pm. Witnesses are urged to call police on 2675 3325.

Tourist found dead in hotel room

An elderly woman tourist from the mainland was found dead in her hotel room in Jordan late on Tuesday night. Staff at the Prudential Hotel, who forced open the door of the room when they could not get a response, found the woman on the bathroom floor. An initial investigation found the woman may have slipped in the bathroom.

Divers search sunken leisure boat

Divers from the Fire Services Department launched an underwater search of a Chinese-style leisure boat off Sai Kung yesterday morning. The vessel had been anchored off Tui Min Hoi. The owner of the boat informed the department that it sank several days ago with no one aboard.

Passengers hurt in taxi accident

A mother and her son were injured when the taxi in which they were travelling rammed into iron railings. Police said the driver, 69, lost control of the taxi on Chuk Yuen Road near Tin Ma Court at about 1pm. The passengers, a 42-year-old woman and her six-year-old son, have been discharged from Queen Elizabeth Hospital.

Top arts council officials named

Ma Fung-kwok has been appointed Arts Development Council chairman and Maurice Lee Wai-man has been appointed the council's vice-chairman. The secretary for home affairs, the permanent secretary for education and the director of leisure and cultural services - or representatives for each government official - will serve on the council.

Man with chopper surrenders

A man armed with a chopper sparked panic in Lok Fu Estate at about 2am. Heavily armed police arrived at the scene. The man, 38, who has a record of mental illness, eventually gave himself up to police and was sent to hospital.