Match the words with their meaning
a. a person killed because of his or her religious or political beliefs
b. an expression of an idea or a feeling through attitude or words
c. a dispute, fight or battle between two people or two groups
d. something very unpleasant or shocking
e. a person trying to bring about great change in society
f. murdered as a political act
Fill in the blanks with the words you have learned.
7. Tension between conservative and __________ politicians has grown.
8. Since the US invaded Iraq, public __________ has turned against Americans.
9. The suicide bomber is now regarded as a __________.
10. Pakistani politician Benazir Bhutto was __________ last month.
11. The border incident could lead to a military ____________ between the two countries.
12. He described the bank robbery as the most __________ experience of his life.
13. Why did Israel blockade the Gaza Strip?
a. to protect the Israeli economy
b. to close the border and prevent Palestine civilians from entering Israel
c. to deter rocket attacks by militant groups
14. Which of the following is not true?
a. Palestinians think the Israelis took their homeland
b. The state of Israel was established during the second world war
c. The Munich massacre was carried out by Palestine militants
15. Which of the following countries has always supported Israel?
b. The US
Think about it
1. Do you agree with Israel's policy of imposing a blockade on Gaza? Why?
2. What is your opinion of the relationship between Israel and Palestine?
3. What do you think is the best way to solve the conflict?
Word Power: 1. c, 2. b, 3. d, 4. f, 5. e, 6. a, 7. radical, 8. sentiment, 9. martyr, 10. assassinated, 11. confrontation, 12. horrendous, 13. c, 14. b, 15. b