In Brief

PUBLISHED : Saturday, 16 February, 2008, 12:00am
UPDATED : Saturday, 16 February, 2008, 12:00am

Drunken taxi passenger hurt in leap out of taxi window

A drunken man was injured yesterday when he jumped out the window of a moving taxi in Kwai Chung after claiming he had no money to pay the fare. Ng Kwok-chung, 45, was in serious condition in Princess Margaret Hospital last night. Mr Ng flagged down the taxi in Jordan at about 4am and asked the driver, 37, to take him to Shek Yam Estate in Kwai Chung. When they reached the Kwai Chung area and Mr Ng claimed he had no money; the driver went to Kwai Chung police station. When they reached the station, Mr Ng told the driver he did have money, so they drove off. But when the taxi slowed down in Tung Chi Street to turn into Shek Yam Estate, the man lowered the window and jumped out. 'He suffered head injuries but managed to run off,' a police spokesman said.

Four injured in collision between truck and minibus

Four people aged 31 to 76 were injured when a minibus and truck collided in San Tam Road near the roundabout outside Fairview Park, Yuen Long, shortly after 11.30am. They were treated at Pok Oi Hospital. In a separate case, a taxi hit a concrete embankment and toppled onto its side in Kam Shan Road outside Kam Shan Country Park, Cheung Sha Wan, at 2am. The driver, 52, said he swerved to avoid a monkey. His 26-year-old passenger was treated for neck injuries at Prince of Wales Hospital.

Naked man jumps to death

A naked man with a history of mental illness plunged to his death from the roof of an eight-storey block of flats in Kai Ming Street, Hung Hom, shortly after 7am. The 57-year-old man, surnamed Yeung, lived alone on the fourth floor.

Robin at market had bird flu

Tests confirmed an oriental magpie robin found on Sunday at Cheung Sha Wan wholesale food market was infected with the H5N1 strain of bird flu, the Agriculture, Fisheries and Conservation Department said.

Woman, 29, slashes wrist

A 29-year-old woman cut a wrist in an attempted suicide in her Sham Chung Tsuen house off Yuen Long Highway in Yuen Long at 7.09am. She was treated at Pok Oi Hospital.