• Wed
  • Oct 22, 2014
  • Updated: 9:04am

In Brief

PUBLISHED : Saturday, 23 February, 2008, 12:00am
UPDATED : Saturday, 23 February, 2008, 12:00am
 

32 evacuated over flat fire

Thirty-two residents were evacuated from a block of flats in Woosung Street, Yau Ma Tei, when a blaze broke out in a partitioned room in a fourth-floor flat at 2.14am yesterday. Firemen doused the flames at 2.33am. The occupant of the room suffered burns to an arm and thigh, and was treated at Queen Elizabeth Hospital. Two other rooms in the flat were damaged. An electrical short circuit was suspected as the cause.

16 arrested for overstaying visas

Police arrested 16 mainland visitors for overstaying their two-way permits in a Yuen Long village. Officers saw a man acting suspiciously in Pak Sha Tsuen off Kiu Hing Road at about 12.30pm. The man then led them to a nearby village house where they arrested the other 15 mainlanders - 11 men and four women - who were having lunch.

Anti-mosquito campaign

To prepare for warmer, wetter weather, the Food and Environmental Hygiene Department will launch a city-wide anti-mosquito campaign on Monday to prevent mosquito-borne diseases.

Share

For unlimited access to:

SCMP.com SCMP Tablet Edition SCMP Mobile Edition 10-year news archive
 
 

 

 
 
 
 
 

Login

SCMP.com Account

or