Sex sprays seized in police raid on Tuen Mun drug factory

PUBLISHED : Thursday, 06 March, 2008, 12:00am
UPDATED : Thursday, 06 March, 2008, 12:00am

Police in Tuen Mun closed a factory that makes sex-related products after seizing 1,000 sprays that supposedly prolong erections.

They also arrested the alleged company owner in Yuen Long.

The product contained lignocaine, a restricted drug that is used to relieve itching, burning and pain from skin inflammations.

It is also injected as a dental anaesthetic and used during minor surgery.

Police said they believed it was the first such factory to have been uncovered in the city.

It is believed the factory had been operating for a few months and the products were supplied to local sex shops.

'The investigation showed that the sex product for men is a mixture of lignocaine and herbs in a solution. It is for external use,' an officer said.

The spray, which came in bottles about the same size as those containing correction fluid, sold for HK$120 each at sex shops, while they cost less than HK$10 to manufacture.

Officers said the lignocaine, also known as lidocaine and classified as a part one poison, had been smuggled in from the mainland.

Manufacturing equipment worth more than HK$100,000 was also seized when officers from the Yuen Long police station raided an industrial unit in Tin Hau Road at about 10pm on Tuesday.

'Its owner is a retired herbal trader,' the investigator said. 'He told us that he did his own research and read books to learn how to make the sex product.

'The initial investigation revealed that he provided a one-stop service, from manufacturing to wholesaling.'

Police said men who use the product could develop heart disorders and skin problems or become drowsy. The spray could also damage the nervous system.

On Monday, officers acting on a tip-off arrested the owners of two sex shops in Tsim Sha Tsui and Yuen Long and seized nearly 400 containers of the spray. A man, 56, and a woman, 51, were granted police bail.

On Tuesday, police arrested the alleged owner, 54, in Yuen Long at 6pm and he later led them to the factory. He was released on bail pending further investigation.