Match the following words with their meanings below
a. words that translate what is said in a film into a different language and appear on the screen at the bottom
b. a person who has a lot of experience in a particular area or activity
c. beneficial towards, encouraging
d. taking somebody's attention away from what they are trying to do
e. give somebody information about something, especially something that was previously secret
Fill in the blanks with the words you have learned.
6. The _________________________ director has made over 100 films. He enjoys much respect in the industry.
7. Please don't _________________________ your personal information to strangers.
8. Local audiences avoid foreign movies because they are too lazy to read the _________________________.
9. I am concentrating on my homework. Please switch off the television. The noise is very _________________________.
10. Inviting too many speakers to attend the event is not _________________________ to discussion. We had better narrow the guest list down to around five people.
Fill in the blanks with the appropriate words from the passage.
The Standing Committee on Language Education and Research has proposed the two terrestrial television 11. ______________________ should provide English subtitles for all their English language programmes.
The government's language think tank's call follows a Broadcasting Authority 12. ______________________ last year on whether the English 13. ________ requirement should be expanded. Currently, ATV and TVB are required to provide English subtitles on their English-language channels for news, weather, 14. ______________________ and public 15. ______________________ . The committee said that expanding the English subtitle services can create a 16. ______________________ language-learning environment in Hong Kong. The move can also enhance Hong Kong's 17. ______________________ edge as an international centre. Provision of subtitles would help learners improve their English listening and 18. ______________________ abilities.
However, not all agree with what the committee said. Some television industry insiders said the move can 19. ______________________ with viewer enjoyment as the text which includes both Chinese and English subtitles would occupy at least one-20. ______________________ of the TV screen.
1 Do you support the proposal requiring TV networks to provide English subtitles for all their English-language programmes?
2 Do you think watching TV programmes with English subtitles is a good way to learn English?
3 What can you do to learn English outside of the classroom?
Standing Committee on Language Education and Research
1. a 2. c 3. e 4. d 5. b 6. veteran 7. disclose 8. subtitles 9. distracting 10. conducive 11. networks 12. review 13. subtitle 14. current affairs 15. announcements 16. conducive 17. competitive 18. reading 19. interfere 20. third