Travel ban violates the Olympic spirit

Thursday, 13 March, 2008, 12:00am

Last week, Hong Kong actress Liza Wang Ming-chuen, a delegate to the Chinese People's Political Consultative Conference, raised a motion calling on Beijing to review its travel ban on pro-democracy legislators.

Within the Legislative Council, there are 12 pro-democracy members, including myself, who have been banned for more than a decade from travelling to the mainland. Many members of pro-democracy political parties have also been banned. No reason has been given.

Ms Wang, who is attending the annual CPPCC plenary session in Beijing, said the central government should consider allowing all pan-democratic lawmakers to enter the mainland, to promote social harmony. She also proposed a meeting between the nation's top officials and all Legco members.

I am grateful to Ms Wang for raising the sensitive issue publicly in Beijing. Since the travel ban was imposed before the change of sovereignty, pro-Beijing legislators who are either delegates to the CPPCC or the National People's Congress have said the ban should be lifted, but none have publicly raised it in Beijing.

Besides the travel ban, there is also no communication between pro-democracy politicians and mainland officials based in Hong Kong. The ban on elected politicians and members of their political parties makes a mockery of Beijing's claim to foster friendship and harmony, particularly in a year that China is hosting the Olympics.

The animosity against pro-democracy politicians is a denial of a fundamental right of Chinese nationals. Many foreign dignitaries are shocked when they learn of such treatment. The ban was an attempt to show Beijing's disapproval, in the hope that Hong Kong people would not vote for us. To Beijing's dismay, we keep getting elected.

Responding to Ms Wang's remarks last week, Chief Executive Donald Tsang Yam-kuen said he supported the exchange of ideas between lawmakers and Beijing officials, and would 'work more and speak less' on the issue. I don't know how much work he has done behind the scenes, but I have not seen any results so far.

What Mr Tsang said reminded me of what the then chief executive, Tung Chee-hwa, told me 10 years ago. After I was re-elected to Legco with Cyd Ho Sau-lan in 1998, we were invited to meet him. I raised the travel ban and asked Mr Tung to help. He said, 'Emily, don't talk too much. Take a step backwards. Take three steps backwards!'

I was flabbergasted and said: 'C.H., I am elected by the people to speak on their behalf. What is it that I've said that is so offensive to Beijing? I belong to The Frontier, if I take too many steps backwards, I'll become the rearguard.'

A decade later, it is disconcerting to find the present chief executive still has such a mindset.

Ms Wang's proposal has received a lukewarm response. Whatever the outcome, Beijing cannot duck the issue of banning its own nationals, given that it is in flagrant violation of the Olympic spirit.

Emily Lau Wai-hing is a legislative councillor for The Frontier

Login

SCMP.com Account

or