In Brief

PUBLISHED : Tuesday, 25 March, 2008, 12:00am
UPDATED : Tuesday, 25 March, 2008, 12:00am

Two people in hospital after attempting suicide

Two people survived suicide bids yesterday. A 36-year-old woman was fighting for her life in hospital last night after jumping into the sea. Police said she had left a message with her boyfriend saying she was going to commit suicide at the Hoi Fai Road waterfront at about 5am. She had jumped before he arrived. The boyfriend and a male passer-by jumped into the sea and pulled her unconscious into a fishing boat. She was in a critical condition in Kwong Wah Hospital. In the second case, firefighters broke into a Hung Hom flat to rescue an unconscious 23-year-old man who had burned charcoal. They were sent to the Wan Fuk Street flat at 2.30am after he sent a telephone message to a friend saying he wanted to commit suicide. The man regained consciousness in Queen Elizabeth Hospital and was in stable condition last night.

Arrest over HK$3m burglary

Police arrested a woman, 32, in connection with a burglary at the luxury Happy Valley flat of actor and director Jacky Yeung Tak-ngai on Sunday. The burglars escaped from the Broom Road flat with cash and valuables worth about HK$3 million.

Taxi driver injured by truck

A taxi was hit from behind and pushed into the opposite lane where it collided head on with a truck in Ting Kok Road, outside Ting Kok Village, Tai Po. The taxi driver suffered head injuries and was in satisfactory condition last night. The other drivers were unhurt.

Hiker rescued by helicopter

A 50-year-old hiker who suffered a head injury after slipping down a slope in Ma On Shan Country Park was flown by helicopter to Eastern Hospital. He was hiking alone when the accident happened at noon. Police said a passing hiker found the man and called police.

Four men sought over beating

Police are hunting four men who punched and kicked a man outside Tai Po Complex in Heung Sze Wui Street, at about 1am. The victim was treated for minor injuries.

No new flu cases reported

The Centre for Health Protection received no flu reports yesterday for the second consecutive day.