Investigation of child deaths finished

PUBLISHED : Saturday, 05 April, 2008, 12:00am
UPDATED : Saturday, 05 April, 2008, 12:00am

A probe into the deaths of three children with flu-like symptoms that led to a citywide closure of schools last month has been completed and a report is expected in about two weeks.

Yuen Kwok-yung, who heads an investigating panel, said yesterday it had completed its work. A report could be released in one to two weeks, pending legal formalities, Professor Yuen said.

Initial findings released last week confirmed a 'close link' between one of the fatalities and the flu virus.

The government-appointed panel was examining the deaths of Law Ho-ming, seven, Ho Po-yi, three, and a 21-month-old boy in late February and early last month.

The cases sparked public panic and the government closed kindergartens, primary schools and special schools early for the Easter holiday.

The Centre for Health Protection said it received no new reports of influenza yesterday.