1. Which of the following is not written by Arthur C. Clarke?
a. 2001: A Space Odyssey
b. The Time Machine
c. The Fountains of Paradise
2.According to the passage, which of the following inventions mentioned by science fiction writers in their books has become a reality?
a. construction of a space elevator
b. a laser weapon to destroy aliens
c. the invention of satellites
3. According to the passage, which of the following modern-day technologies had been described by mid-19th century French author Jules Verne?
a. space travel
b. atomic bomb
The use of 'until'
We use 'until' for something that continues up to a particular time and stops at that time. It can also be used as a conjunction to link up two sentences.
Here is an example from the passage.
No one paid much attention to his words until 20 years later when the United States' Apollo 11 mission landed two astronauts on moon.
Combine the sentences by using the word 'until' as the given example.
E.g. All candidates have to stay in the room. They cannot leave before the exam ends.
All candidates have to stay in the room until the exam ends.
1. Martin stayed in London for eight years. He left in 2005.
2. The cold war lasted more than three decades. The Berlin Wall was knocked down in 1989, ending the cold war.
3. Hong Kong was a British colony. Its sovereignty returned to China in 1997.
Think about it
1. Which science fiction author do you admire most?
2. Do you think science fiction authors can predict the future?
3. Do you believe science fiction is possible? Why?
1.b, 2. c, 3.a
1. Martin stayed in London for eight years until 2005.
2. The cold war lasted more than three decades until the Berlin Wall was knocked down in 1989.
3. Hong Kong was a British colony until its sovereignty returned to China in 1997.