• Fri
  • Dec 19, 2014
  • Updated: 2:39pm

Slave scandal official loses job again

PUBLISHED : Wednesday, 16 April, 2008, 12:00am
UPDATED : Wednesday, 16 April, 2008, 12:00am
 

A Shanxi official sacked in July for her role in the brick kiln slave scandal had been quietly re-employed by the same authority before being suspended again on Monday because of a public outcry, mainland media reported yesterday.

Former Yaodu district director Duan Chunxia was re-employed by the district government as a deputy director last month.

Ms Duan was one of dozens of officials who stepped down to take responsibility for the scandal, in which more than 600 people, some of them children, were tortured and forced to work around the clock in miserable conditions for years. The incident sent shockwaves through the public and the leadership.

Her comeback appeared to violate Communist Party guidelines stipulating that all official appointments be publicised before the person takes office.

According to a district government worker quoted by Chinese Business View, based in Xian , Ms Duan's subordinates continued to greet her as 'director' after she was sacked, and she kept her government office and car.

News of the appointment sparked a flood of online criticism.

Authorities in Linfen who oversee Yaodu district announced on Monday that the appointment had been rescinded, while city officials conducted an investigation, the People's Daily reported.

A district administrative official contacted yesterday said he did not know many details about the case.

'What I do acknowledge is, she has been in charge of urban renewal affairs since her reinstatement,' the official said. 'She did not come back [Monday], but she was still working in her office [yesterday].'

Share

Related topics

For unlimited access to:

SCMP.com SCMP Tablet Edition SCMP Mobile Edition 10-year news archive
 
 

 

 
 
 
 
 

Login

SCMP.com Account

or