Match the following words with their meanings on the right
Fill in the blanks with the words you have learned
6. I am tired of having to ________________ all the time. I just want to be myself.
7. Employees air their ________________ at the monthly meetings which are intended to help relieve stress.
8. The house has many ________________ features, so it can fetch a very high price.
9. I don't think you realise the ________________ of the problem. We are in big trouble at the moment.
10. He always talks in a very loud voice. I find him ________________.
a. behave in a particular way in order to make others believe there's nothing wrong
b. too painful, annoying or unpleasant to deal with or accept
c. the scale or extent of something
d. causes for complaint, especially unfair treatment
e. attractive; useful; necessary course of action
The use of adverbs
Adverbs are used to define a verb or an adjective. Below is an example from the passage.
Example: Most people passively respond to the pollution by blocking their windows with thick curtains and pretend to live as usual.
Fill in the blanks with the appropriate adverbs below
fast, diligently, unbearably, secretly, passionately
11. The car is travelling very ________________.
12. He was seen putting the folded paper ________________ into the drawer. We all think he's up to something.
13. The ________________ loud noise from the construction site is driving me crazy.
14. He promotes his message of green living ________________.
15. He is preparing for his exams ________________. He is staying up late every night in the lead-up to the exams.
1. c, 2. a, 3. e, 4. d, 5. b, 6. pretend, 7. grievances, 8. desirable, 9. magnitude, 10. unbearable, 11. fast, 12. secretly, 13. unbearably, 14. passionately, 15. diligently
Think About It
1. Is the problem of light pollution serious in Hong Kong?
2. What should the government do to combat this problem?
3. Which areas in Hong Kong are most affected by the problem? Why?
Environmental Protection Department
Friends of the Earth