Girl, 16, cut into pieces, police fear

PUBLISHED : Friday, 09 May, 2008, 12:00am
UPDATED : Friday, 09 May, 2008, 12:00am

Missing teen believed murdered and flesh flushed down toilet, head dumped in sea

A missing 16-year-old girl who quit school to relieve the financial burden on her family was killed and dismembered after allegedly becoming involved in the sex trade, it was revealed yesterday.

Blood believed to have come from the former pupil, Wong Ka-mui, was found in a flat at the Yan Fat Building in Shek Kip Mei Street, Sham Shui Po, where she was last seen on the afternoon of April 27, police said.

Her flesh was thought to have been removed off, cut into small pieces and flushed down the flat's toilet after she was killed, a police source said.

The source said the girl's head was taken to a ferry pier in Kowloon City and tied to bricks before being thrown into the sea. A bag containing her bones was dumped at a refuse collection point in nearby Shek Kip Mei market.

Police divers mounted a fruitless search off the Kowloon City ferry pier on Wednesday.

Shopkeepers complained to police yesterday about a foul smell coming from drains in an alley behind the building in recent days.

At about 4pm, a team of plainclothes officers, members of the force's elite search team and workers from the Drainage Services Department arrived at Shek Kip Mei Street. Workers were seen removing the covers of the drains in the alley.

Another police source said police had failed to find any part of the girl but 'evidence we've collected so far suggests that the girl has been killed'.

Officers have appealed for witnesses who may have seen a Chinese man pushing a trolley loaded with a large white foam box outside the building between 5pm and 6pm on April 27 to contact police.

Police Commissioner Tang King-shing said yesterday police were trying their best to locate the missing girl.

Two men, 24, have been arrested in connection with Ka-mui's disappearance. Investigations showed she had met the two men through the internet recently, police said.

The girl's older sister, a Form Five student, said at the family flat in Tai Po yesterday morning that Ka-mui had wanted to support the family so that their mother, a scavenger, could have a better life. She said Ka-mui had recently bought many clothes and high-heeled shoes, which they shared. But she did not believe her younger sister worked as a call girl.

Ka-mui had a lot of friends, including adults, and had received a lot of calls at night recently, she said.

The two sisters shared a flat in Kui Wo House, Tai Wo Estate, with their mother and 64-year-old stepfather.

Ka-mui, a former Tai Po Sam Yuk Secondary School student, came from the mainland in 2005. Her older sister and mother came to Hong Kong in 2000.

She quit school in January and was described by school vice-principal Kevin Yeung Pui-chuen as bright, helpful and outstanding.

She went missing after leaving home at about 2pm on April 27. She was wearing a black T-shirt and black trousers and carrying a gold handbag. She was reported missing by her older sister on April 29 at Tai Po police station.

Detectives from Kowloon West regional crime unit took over the case on Tuesday because police feared she might have been killed. Officers arrested the two men on Tuesday.