Campers demand more money before moving
KOWLOON City residents have pushed for the clearance of a container-size tent set up by 20 defiant Walled City protesters outside a public park.
The diehards moved back to the Walled City area and put up a nylon-covered shelter opposite Mei Tung Estate on Saturday after ending a month-long sit-in outside businessman Hu Fa-kuang's firm in North Point.
Mr Hu, who chairs a Housing Authority committee on the Walled City clearance, obtained a court order asking the group to leave the elegant block by Sunday.
Last month the protesters were evicted by 200 policemen and Housing Department workers from a garden in Tung Tau Estate which they had occupied for more than 11/2 years.
But the group, who have been offered a total of $19 million in compensation, yesterday vowed to stay put unless more money was paid.
They are among 32 ex-Walled City households who have not accepted compensation.
Their new base occupies a 15-metre-long section of a pavement of Tung Tau Tsuen Road next to an entrance to Carpenter Road Park.
Kowloon City Divisional Commander Superintendent Donald Griffiths said police were aware of the situation and were considering their position.
An Urban Services Department spokesman said the protesters' move had been noted but action would not be taken as long as the protesters did not trespass on the park.