Gas leak at estate spurs safety checks

PUBLISHED : Tuesday, 27 May, 2008, 12:00am
UPDATED : Tuesday, 27 May, 2008, 12:00am

Gas safety inspections will be carried out this week at a Tseung Kwan O estate where residents reported a leak on Sunday night.

The smell of gas was detected on the ground floor of Choi Wing House, Choi Ming Court, at about 5.50pm on Sunday, five hours before Towngas found the leak.

Towngas senior engineer Ng Hung-pan said yesterday a thorough inspection of all gas pipes in the estate would be conducted this week. The leaking connection, which had a pin-sized hole, would also be replaced by Friday.

'Our gas workers fixed the hole [on Sunday] temporarily with plastic covers. It is a very slight leak which will be very unlikely to cause any explosion,' he said. 'There is no security risk at the moment.'

Raymond Ho Man-kit, chairman of the estate's owners' corporation and a Sai Kung district councillor, said residents were worried about the leak and it was lucky it was detected at an early stage. 'I do not understand why the gas company did not step up inspections immediately after the leak was reported,' he said. About 17,000 people live on the estate.

A Towngas spokeswoman said gas pipes were inspected regularly and no accumulation of gas was found at the site of the leak during a check in February. 'We consider safety our priority, and more manpower will be deployed for the inspections,' she said.