You can endeavour to study in Australia

PUBLISHED : Tuesday, 17 June, 2008, 12:00am
UPDATED : Tuesday, 17 June, 2008, 12:00am

Interested in doing some post-secondary education overseas next year? Perhaps you might consider applying for the 2009 Endeavour Awards, a merit-based scholarship that offers students, researchers and executives the chance to study in Australia. The award is a public-private partnership programme jointly funded by the Australian government and the Cheung Kong Group and it's open to people in postgraduate, postdoctoral and vocational studies. The idea is to encourage international exchange and expose Asians to the opportunities for research and professional development Down Under.

This year 466 students from across Asia were awarded scholarships totalling about A$22 million (HK$161.5 million). In addition, some gifts allow Australians to come here to study.

The basic requirement is applicants must be citizens or permanent residents of Hong Kong, Macau or any of the participating countries. What you cannot be is a resident of Australia. That includes those people holding dual citizenship. Other than being a political appointee, here's another reason to renounce your foreign passport. The deadline for applications is July 31. For full details, check out