Answer the following questions.
1. According to the article, which of the following is not a tactic adopted by the supermarkets to lure customers?
a. put milk and bread at the back of the store
b. announce hefty price rises
c. place expensive items at eye-level
2. What is the best way to avoid buying too much, as suggested by Dr Cheung?
a. don't get any credit cards
b. prepare a shopping list every time you go out
c. bear in mind how much money you have and don't overspend
3. Which of the following describes the lifestyle of freegans?
a. they are too lazy to work but they eat high-quality food
b. they oppose consumerism and live on discarded food and products to reduce waste.
c. they buy food and other necessities from supermarkets
Match the words or phrase with their meanings.
5. rat race
Fill in the blanks with the words and phrase you have just learned.
6. Unable to resist the _______________, the boy took a candy bar from the supermarket shelf.
7. IT- _______________ travellers prefer the convenience of booking air tickets and hotel rooms from home.
8. He has quit his job, walked out of the _______________and started a simple life.
9. My mother _______________around the supermarket, looking for the best bargains.
10. The authorities are cracking down on the _______________ who are giving the city a bad name.
a. a way of life in which people compete aggressively to become successful
b. move around quietly
c. sudden desire to do something
d. possess a good understanding and knowledge of something
e. those who collect things by searching among waste and unwanted objects
1. b, 2. d, 3. c, 4. e, 5. a, 6. impulse, 7. savvy, 8. rat race, 9. prowled, 10. scavengers
1. b, 2. c, 3. b
Think About It
1. How often do you go shopping? Where do you usually go?
2. How much do you usually spend on clothing, gadgets or entertainment each month?
3. Have you ever bought something which was never used?
4. What's your opinion about consumer sentiment in Hong Kong?