In Brief

PUBLISHED : Tuesday, 08 July, 2008, 12:00am
UPDATED : Tuesday, 08 July, 2008, 12:00am

Villager held after suicide bid

Police arrested a villager who tried to commit suicide by burning a mattress in his home. Firefighters broke into the house in Tseung Kong Wai in the northwestern New Territories and found the 41-year-old unconscious in the toilet. He had left a suicide note saying he was in financial difficulty. The man, who regained consciousness and was taken to hospital, was arrested for arson.

Police subdue mental patient

Firemen broke down the door of a Kwai Chung flat after three hours of fruitless police negotiations with a mental patient who had locked himself inside with his son and daughter. Police went to the flat on the Kwai Shing East public housing estate at 1.20am after the 50-year-old falsely reported his family was under attack. Two policemen suffered hand injuries subduing him. The son, 12, and daughter, 23, were unhurt.

Thief on bike robs woman

A robber riding a bicycle pushed a 59-year-old woman to the ground in Sheung Shui and snatched her wallet containing HK$3,600, before pedalling off. Police found no trace of the man, who they believe was in his 20s. The incident occurred in Tin Ping Road.

Passer-by struck by pincers

Police arrested an air-conditioning technician for dropping a pair of pincers from a third-floor flat in Jat Min Chuen, Sha Tin. The pincers struck the ground and bounced up, hitting the leg of a passer-by. The man, 55, received hospital treatment.

Five hurt in collision

Five Water Supplies Department workers were hurt when their minibus and a truck collided near Yau Tam Mei Tsuen in Castle Peak Road, Yuen Long, at 8.30am. All five received hospital treatment.

Pair attacked with bottles

Police are seeking four youths who attacked two men aged 24 and 30 with bottles in Hennessy Road, Causeway Bay, near the junction with Percival Street at 6.30am, then fled in a car. Their victims were treated in hospital for minor injuries.