Minding the minders

PUBLISHED : Wednesday, 30 July, 2008, 12:00am
UPDATED : Wednesday, 30 July, 2008, 12:00am

Past sexual offences of prospective employees will be made available to employers in child-related work, but the application for the record check must be initiated by the potential employee, not the employer. The record check will be available to employers in the following areas:

Educational institutions, ranging from nursery schools to secondary schools, including special schools for the mentally disabled.

Community services and youth services.

Paediatric and special wards for the mentally disabled in hospitals.

Clubs and associations that provide services for children or the mentally disabled.

Babysitting and child-minding services.

Providers of coaching or private tuition for children.

Counsellors of children and the mentally disabled.

Minders of transport and play facilities designed for children and the mentally disabled.

Police will issue a certificate listing the specific offences.

A 'clean' record will be communicated to the prospective employer orally.

Only records of sex-related offences will be available, such as rape, incest, gross indecency, bestiality, causing or procuring prostitution, child pornography and indecency in public.