1 What does the word 'Renrou' mean?
a human flesh
b meat grinder
c search engine
2 Why did the website mop.com create Renrou?
a to advertise cosmetics and restaurants
b to exchange information about everything
c to bring trouble to criminals
3 What does the term 'witch-hunt' mean?
a a Halloween game
b to search for and persecute
c to look for witches
Indirect speech (reported speech)
Indirect speech is used to communicate what someone else said, but without using the exact words. The tenses of the verbs are often changed in conveying the meaning.
The following is an example from the passage:
Fudan University sociology professor Yu Hai said Renrou cases were becoming witch-hunts and legal regulation was urgently needed.
Convert the following sentences into indirect speech.
4 'A new law will be introduced to fight the rising crime rate,' the politician announced.
5 My aunt told me: 'I need new shoes.'
6 'I will do my homework early because I want to go to the party,' Justin explained to his parents.
1. What issues do lawmakers face when deciding to safeguard people's privacy?
2. What sort of personal information can you find out about someone by using a computer?
3. How does the law safeguard people's privacy in Hong Kong?
4. Who should be held accountable for Wang Fei's misery?
1. a, 2. b, 3. b, 4. The politician announced that a new law would be introduced to fight the rising crime rate. 5. My aunt told me that she needed new shoes. 6. Justin explained to his parents that he would do his homework early because he wanted to go to the party.