Answer the following questions
1. How do most zoos treat the death of an animal?
a. buy a new one from another park
b. renovate the cage to breed other animals
c. hold enrichment talks to educate students about the animal
d. raise funds to buy another one
2. According to an activist, what did a jaguar in the botanical gardens in Central suffer from?
a. it didn't have enough food
b. children threw sharp objects at it
c. it didn't have any toys to play with
d. being enclosed left it severely bored
3. What is the Year of the Frog?
a. last year's Lunar New Year symbol based on the Chinese zodiac
b. Singapore's night safari park
c. an animal rights organisation
d. a worldwide campaign launched to save frog species
Match the following words with their meanings below
a. to selfishly take advantage of something
b. unable to justify
d. in danger of dying out
e. wide variety of animal and plant species
An adverb modifies a verb, an adjective or another adverb. The example below is taken from the article.
The park creates a living environment that closely resembles their natural habitat.
Fill in the blanks choosing the correct adverbs from this list.
early, comfortably, fiercely, heavily
1. Melissa and David have been arguing _______________ over the name of their new-born child.
2. It is raining _______________ outside.
3. The cat was resting _______________ on the sofa.
4. My grandmother wakes up _______________ for tai chi lessons every morning.
1. How do animal rights activists justify shutting down animal parks?
2. Do you think animals should be kept in zoos?
3. Is there a difference between a zoo animal and a house pet?
Answers: Reading Comprehension: 1. a, 2. d, 3. d
Word Power: 1. b, 2. e, 3. a, 4. d, 5. c
Language Focus: 1. fiercely, 2. heavily, 3. comfortably, 4. early