Answer the following questions:
1. What is the first step of cloning?
a. embryo is implanted into surrogate mother
b. an electric charge
c. the nucleus is inserted into an unfertilised egg
d. the nucleus is extracted from a cell
2. Which of the following is illegal to clone?
d. Tasmanian tigers
3. Which of the following can be a barrier to the resurrection of extinct animals?
a. climate change has destroyed their natural habitat
b. a lack of animals who can act as egg donors and mothers
c. they won't survive more than a few days
d. the government doesn't want to legalise it
4. What is NOT a problem faced by large, endangered animals?
a. weak embryos
b. habitat loss
c. humans taking over their land
Match the following words with their
a. the death of an entire species
b. a person who acts as a substitute
c. a duplicate; exact copy
d. a cure for anything
A prefix is a group of letters that is added to the beginning of a word to change its meaning. A prefix has a meaning of its own.
Identify the prefix in each of the following words, give its meaning, then define the entire word.
Here is an example from the passage: cryopreservation.
'Cryo' is a prefix that means 'very cold'. 'Cryopreservation' is the use of very cold temperatures to store organs and living organisms to keep them in the same condition.
3. extra-curricular activities
1. Should we clone dead people?
2. If you could clone anyone, would you do it? Who would it be?
3. Why is cloning unsuccessful in resurrecting extinct species?
1. d; 2. c; 3. b; 4. a
1. b; 2. d; 3. c; 4. a
1. auto (self; same individual); an autobiography is the story of a real person's life written by that person
2. anti (opposite); an antithesis is the exact opposite of something
3. extra (something additional); you take extra-curricular activities outside regular school lessons